Saturday, August 8, 2026

AOGS 2026 conference in Fukuoka - by Tunyu

Hi everyone, this is Tunyu again!

Just three days after returning from Hokkaido, I set off for Fukuoka to attend the AOGS Conference 2026.

This time, I participated in the poster session and had the opportunity to exchange ideas and gain valuable insights from other researchers. In particular, discussions about different research targets and model comparisons gave me some new perspectives and a clearer direction for my future research.

It was a meaningful experience, and I’m glad to have had the chance to share my work and learn from others at the conference.

 




On the other days of the conference, I also had opportunities to learn about other researchers’ work and explore different methodologies for spatial prediction, such as forest fire prediction and riverbank detection.

The most impressive one for me was the research on riverbank detection. The researchers used a line-detection approach across pixels to identify and distinguish riverbanks. This method was particularly interesting because it made me think about my own research from a different perspective.

It inspired me to consider whether geometric features could also be incorporated into my research. For example, there may be certain geometric patterns or spatial characteristics within building areas that could help improve building detection and classification.

Learning about methodologies from different research fields gave me new ideas about how I might approach my own research in the future.




Another highlight of this conference was meeting so many researchers not only from Japan but also from Taiwan, especially from National Taiwan University (NTU), where I completed my bachelor’s degree.

I had the chance to meet my former supervisor again, as well as many old friends and researchers from different labs in Japan and Taiwan. It was great to catch up with them, learn about the research projects they are currently working on, and exchange ideas about our different research interests.

Meeting familiar faces in a new place made the conference even more memorable and enjoyable.


Lastly, I cherished every day in Fukuoka by trying as much local food as I could. During my stay, I had tonkotsu ramen three times, motsunabe four times, and mentaiko once!

However, my absolute favorite was a sashimi restaurant called “Gomasaba (ごまさば).” I loved it so much that I ended up going there twice!

Besides all the valuable experiences I gained from the conference, exploring Fukuoka’s local food definitely made this trip even more memorable. It was a wonderful way to wrap up my time here! Thanks to Kawasaki sensei to give me this wonderful opportunity. 





No comments:

Post a Comment