Friday, September 15, 2023

First time for everything: Presenting in Conferences!

It was said that "There is a first time for everything". And in my case, my very first presenting in a conference! 

Hi, it’s Leon again! Glad to be able to share a bit of my story to you all again! I am happy to announce that my study is progressing well, and the result was ready to be discussed by wider public. As to that, between 2nd to 6th September, I was attending and presenting to my very first conferences in Nagasaki City in Japan held by 水文・水資源学会/ Japan Society of Hydrology and Water Resources.  

Doing my first conferences, waiting for my turn to present was nerve-wrecking. My result has just been shown to small group of people in campus before. So, having my result shown to bigger audiences by many well renowned scientist and researchers in water field made me a little anxious. Long story short, my turn was up, and my name was called. I am really happy that my presentation went well. My study even received positive feedback and enthusiasm from the audience! Phew!


Anyway, I’d also share how calm Nagasaki City is – a very different vibe from Tokyo. Nagasaki is a calm small city stipulating many historical values in Japan. Rich in history has caused this city to have many interesting museums and historical building to visit. 



I visited several museums from Atomic Bombing Museum to Dejima and Glover Museum where it was heavily influenced by western culture. In this blog, I would like to highlight about the Atomic Bombing Museums. This museum encapsulates the story and remaining memories of inhumane event that killed and wiped hundreds of thousands of people in Nagasaki City in 1945. Inside the museum, photos of the victims and story of the survival who suffered from leukemia, cancer, and others side effect of radiation in the years followed by the bombing were shown. To observe and read the story was painfully heart aching. I sincerely hope that more tourists from all over the world can come to this museum and personally witness and feel the pain of the story – hoping that this horrific event will never re-occur in the future. 


 

To summarized, I really enjoy Nagasaki! If you visit Nagasaki, you must try the famous dish from this City – ちゃんぽん/Cyampong! Additionally, if you are a sweet tooth, don’t forget to try the castella cake, bubble tea, and dumplings from the Nagasaki’s Chinatown. 




As from my title quoted, there is always a first time for everything. If you think about it, the opposite will also be true that there is no such thing as the last time for anything. I hope that this valuable experience could be a stepping-stone for me to join and share more of my work to wider international audience. 

By then, I will keep trying my best!

 

See you all again very soon!

Thank you for reading.

Leon (15 Sept 2023)


No comments:

Post a Comment